The following online diplomas are offered by various accredited South African distance education colleges and universities.
What is a Diploma?
A diploma course provides tertiary level, career-oriented training to prepare you for work in a specific field. The course is a combination of academic training as well as specialised, practical skills required in that industry or profession. Diploma courses may be offered on a full-time or part-time basis and may vary in length from one to three years.
National Diplomas (NQF Level 5)
A national diploma can be obtained after completing a senior certificate or trade certificate. It is recognised in South Africa, but may not be recognised when applying for a job in another country.
Higher Diplomas (NQF Level 6)
A higher diploma can be nationally and/or internationally recognised, depending on the establishment. Always check the accreditation of the specific course you wish to study.
Students who successfully complete a National Diploma course, can usually enrol for a Bachelor of Technology (BTech) degree in the same field of study.
What is the difference between a diploma and a degree?
With a degree qualification it is firstly necessary to qualify for exemption from USAf (Universities South Africa). The empasis is on an academic approach to a specific field of study or a profession. In some fields, a degree qualification is required in order to be licensed practice a specific profession. Degree programmes are also offered part-time or full time. Certain programmes also require industry training or work experience in that industry,
Boston City Campus & Business College
Boston City Campus & Business College (Pty) Ltd Reg. No. 1996/013220/07 (‘Boston’) is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training as a private higher education institution under the Higher Education Act, 1997 (Act No. 101 of 1997). Registration Certificate No. 2003/HE07/002.
Diploma in Systems Development
Diploma in Network Systems
Diploma in Financial Accounting
Diploma in Human Resource Management
Diploma in Business Management
Diploma in Marketing Management
Diploma in Event Management
Lyceum is a fully accredited and registered institution of higher learning. Its programmes are accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE) and registered at the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). You can contact Lyceum college to request details of Lyceum College’s institutional and programme accreditation status.
Diploma in Grade R Teaching
Diploma in Public Administration
Diploma in Management
Diploma in Metropolitan and Traffic Policing
Advanced Diploma in Traffic and Metropolitan Policing
Postgraduate Diploma in Traffic Policing
Diploma in Public Administration
Diploma in Criminal Justice
Diploma in Fleet Management
UNISA is the largest open distance learning institution in Africa and the longest standing dedicated distance education university in the world. About one third of university students in South Africa enrol with UNISA. Annually, almost 40 000 students obtain degrees and diplomas from UNISA.
The following diplomas are listed by UNISA
- Diploma in Accounting Sciences (98200)
- Diploma in Administrative Management (98216)
- Diploma in Agricultural Management (90097)
- Diploma in Animal Health . (98026 – AHE)
- Diploma in Corrections Management (98218)
- Diploma in Explosives Management (98222)
- Diploma in Human Resource Management (98211)
- Diploma in Information Technology . (98806 – ITE)
- Diploma in Law (98750)
- Diploma in Local Government Finance (90083)
- Diploma in Marketing Management (98202)
- Diploma in Nature Conservation . (98024 – NCO)
- Diploma in Ornamental Horticulture . (98025 – HOR)
- Diploma in Policing (98220)
- Diploma in Public Administration and Management (98203)
- Diploma in Public Relations (90077)
- Diploma in Security Management (98221)
- Diploma in Small Business Management (90073)
- Diploma in Tourism Management (98223)
- National Diploma: Engineering: Chemical (NDENG)
- National Diploma: Engineering: Civil (NDECI)
- National Diploma: Engineering: Electrical Clinical Engineering (NDEEN – CEN)
- National Diploma: Engineering: Electrical Computer Systems (NDEEN – COS)
- National Diploma: Engineering: Electrical Electronics and Electronic Communication (NDEEN – EEC)
- National Diploma: Engineering: Electrical Mechatronics (NDEEN – MEC)
- National Diploma: Engineering: Electrical Power Engineering (NDEEN – PEN)
- National Diploma: Engineering: Electrical Process Instrumentation (NDEEN – PIN)
- National Diploma: Engineering: Industrial (NDEID)
- National Diploma: Engineering: Mechanical (NDEMC)
- National Diploma: Mine Surveying (NDMSR)
- National Diploma: Mining Engineering (NDMIN)
- National Diploma: Pulp and Paper Technology (NDPPT)
- National Diploma: Safety Management (NDSMN)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Foundation Phase and Early Childhood Development) Foundation Phase (02631 – FDP)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Intermediate and Senior Phase) New Curriculum (02623 – NEW)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Senior Phase and Further Education and Training) New Curriculum (03980 – NEW)
More distance learning colleges in South Africa:
- College SA – offers over 200 courses, some accredited and some non-accredited courses
- INTEC College – vocational and industry-specific courses
- Oxbridge Academy
- Damelin Correspondence College – various short courses online
- Milpark Education – courses and degrees in business, commerce, investment and banking